Booked your Hotel in Central Wellington?
Book our Sightseeing Tours in Wellington!
Rates valid until March 31, 2018
Rates valid for minimum 02 passengers travelling together
What is included in the tour
- Comfortable return transfers from the city centre by Mini-Van
- Experienced Driver Guide
- Comprehensive Commentary
- Priority seating to documentary in the Weta Cave
- Weta Cave Workshop Tour
- Miniatures Stage Tour: Thunderbirds Are Go
- Dinner at CoCo at the Roxy (If Option Selected)
- Meet people from the creative teams that make the magic happen for movies
- Learn some of the secrets behind the movie magic from your guide
- All Taxes included (what you see is the final price per person)
What is NOT included in the tour
- Wellington Hotel pick up and drop off
- Meals other than those specified in inclusions
- Drinks other than those specified in inclusions
- Tips (not mandatory)
Go behind the scenes of ‘The Lord of the Rings' and other blockbusters at Weta Workshop, the world’s leading special effects and prop studio. The informative and entertaining Weta Cave Workshop Tour gives you a glimpse into the film production of your favourite movies including the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, 'Avatar' and 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2.’
All tours include:
- Guided return transfers – Journey from central Wellington to Weta Studio Tours in a dedicated shuttle. Your friendly driver will point out iconic landmarks along the way!
- Priority seating to documentary – Take a seat in the Weta Cave to learn about the history of the Weta Group
Weta Cave Workshop Tour
- Step inside a converted area of Weta Workshop, where we house thousands of props and artefacts that we created for the big screen
- Get up close to props and weapons as you learn how Weta Workshop designs and manufactures practical effects for films like The Lord of the Rings, District 9, and Avatar
- Your guide, a Weta Workshop crew member, will spill behind-the-scenes secrets from the Workshop floor!
- See artists at work on our tour stage, and peer through windows into the Workshop itself
Thunderbirds Are Go: Miniatures Stage Tour
- Explore the huge miniatures crafted by Weta Workshop for the popular television show!
- Check out original storyboards and concept art
- Learn the secrets behind what it takes to bring the world of Thunderbirds Are Go to the small screen
- Rare photo opportunity in a purpose-built Thunderbirds Are Go set, made by Weta Workshop exclusively for the tour!
An Evening with Weta and Coco Tour
- Special extended Weta Cave Workshop Tour – Get up close to the props, weapons, armour and vehicles crafted for The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, District 9, King Kong, The Chronicles of Narnia and more!
- A three-course meal at CoCo at the Roxy – In the Roxy’s gorgeous Art Deco setting, you’ll dine among incredible artworks, movie memorabilia, and sculptures showcasing Weta Workshop talent
Guided transfers for The Full Experience depart 7 days a week from the Wellington i-SITE bus park, opposite the West Plaza Hotel. Departures occur at 9 AM, 10.30 AM, 12 PM and 1.30 PM.
The Weta Workshop, co-founded by director Peter Jackson, is renowned for manufacturing the sets, props, armour, creatures and miniatures of feature films such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy. You’ll learn about the making of the series and other movies, such as Avatar and The Adventures of Tintin, during your tour of the Weta Cave exhibition space.
Meet in downtown Wellington for a 20-minute shuttle transfer to the Weta Workshop, located in the nearby suburb of Miramar. During the ride, watch a short video and listen to your driver share information about Wellington’s role in producing some of the world’s most popular films.
On arrival, embark on a guided tour of the Weta Cave Workshop Tour for a behind-the-scenes glimpse with your tour guide, starting with a documentary screening. Appreciate the magic behind the movies as members of the Weta team show off models, costumes and weaponry. If you're lucky, you might even catch the design and production teams at work on special effects operations.
You may instead opt to do the Thunderbirds Are Go: Miniatures Stage Tour. Explore the huge miniatures crafted by Weta Workshop for the popular television show! Check out original storyboards and concept art and learn the secrets behind what it takes to bring the world of Thunderbirds Are Go to the small screen. You will also enjoy a rare photo opportunity in a purpose-built Thunderbirds Are Go set, made by Weta Workshop exclusively for the tour!
An Evening with Weta and Coco Tour includes a special extended Weta Cave Workshop Tour followed by a delicious three-course meal at CoCo at the Roxy. In the Roxy’s gorgeous Art Deco setting, you’ll dine among incredible artworks, movie memorabilia, and sculptures showcasing Weta Workshop talent.
Snap up one-of-a-kind merchandise such as prop replicas and Lord of the Rings art prints at the on-site gift shop before the return trip to downtown Wellington.