Booked your Hotel in Central Rotorua?
Book our Sightseeing Tours in Rotorua!
Rates valid until March 31, 2019
Rates valid for minimum 02 passengers travelling together
What is included in the tour
- Pick up from Central Rotorua Hotel
- Guided walk through the Whirinaki Forest
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Led by an experienced local guide
- Drop off at Central Rotorua Hotel
- All Taxes included (what you see is the final price per person)
What is NOT included in the tour
- Meals other than those specified in inclusions
- Drinks other than those specified in inclusions
- Tips (not mandatory)
Explore one of New Zealand’s finest forest trails on this hiking tour in the Whirinaki Forest from Rotorua. Travel from your accommodation in Rotorua into the Whirinaki Forest, widely considered among the world’s greatest rainforests. Follow your guide along hiking trails beneath the leafy canopy and marvel at mighty native trees such as ‘kahikatea’, ‘matai’, ‘miro’, ‘rimu’ and ‘totara’. Along the way, discover rich flora and fauna for which the forest is famous, and hear birdsong from the many different species of birds flying among the branches above.
Travel to Whirinaki takes one hour then begins the hike. Whirinaki’s most striking feature is its awe-inspiring trees, of which the totara, kahikatea, matai, miro and rimu stand supreme. It has been variously described as one of the great rainforests of the world and the finest of New Zealand’s remaining giant podocarp forests – or as David Bellamy describes it, the ‘Dinosaur Forest’. It is one of only two native forests in New Zealand where the canopy is seen in such completeness - a feature encountered nowhere else in the world.
- Customers should bring along sensible shoes, a warm jumper, a raincoat and a camera. Locked storage is available in our van but this is at the customer’s own risk.
- Safety is our number one priority. Our guides are experienced and knowledgeable and have your interests top of mind. Our full day hike involves 4 hours of hiking and is suitable for anyone with average fitness.